Vegan food is becoming a popular and often delicious alternative to regular animal-based meals. Thankfully many large chain restaurants have made options available that fit into these dietary requirements.
You might be wondering if Subway has vegan options, and is a restaurant built on the premise of “fresh” they certainly do.
Does Subway Have Vegan Options?
Subway does have vegan options on its menu as of 2021. One type of bread, various wraps, and their vegetable-based salad options make great choices for plant-based meals.
Besides the obvious options for creating a vegan salad, there are some surprising choices you can add. The black bean and also Meditteranean vegetable soups are considered vegan.
What Food at Subway is Vegan?
There are various items on the Subway menu you can get that are vegan on their own or with some slight modifications. Here are a few great ideas:
- Bread – The only bread that is listed as vegan on the menu is the Italian loaf. This neutral staple makes a great foundation for a variety of hearty toppings to fill you up.
- Wraps – Bread isn’t your only starch option, you can also choose between the spinach or tomato basil wraps as well.
- Salads – You can easily create an all plant-based salad the only thing to take a special note of is what you top the salad with in terms of dressing.
- Sandwich – The Veggie Delite can be made into either a sandwich or a wrap. Remember to opt for Italian bread, tomato basil, or spinach wrap. If you are going to try a veggie patty, be sure to ask an employee if it is completely vegan friendly as there have been variations in the past that included animal products.
- Soups – The black bean and Meditteranean soups are both great vegan options. Be sure to avoid the broccoli and cheddar as it is made with a base of cheese.
- Snacks – If you are in the mood for chips be sure to read all the ingredients on the bags before making a selection. A safe vegan choice is the applesauce. You’ll be getting some vitamins and a nutritious side dish with this option.
- Drinks – Water, unsweetened teas, and even some soft drink beverages will fit into vegan standards at Subway.
What Food at Subway is Not Vegan?
Typically the food options that are not vegan are fairly easy to spot at Subway. You’ll want to avoid any meat products like chicken, beef, tuna, or cold cuts.
Another tip for ensuring your meals and snacks are vegan is to avoid cheese-based items as well, this also includes some flavors of chips, dressings, and dips. Here are some additional items to cross off the list:
- Tuna Salad
- Rotisserie Chicken
- Roast Beef
- Cold Cut Combo
- Any cream-based dressings or dressings that contain eggs
- Chicken Soup
- Broccoli and Cheese Soup
Another category of items on the menu that doesn’t fall within vegan guidelines are their freshly baked cookies. Each variety including chocolate chip, white chocolate macadamia, chocolate chip rainbow, and seasonal varieties all contain animal-based ingredients.
What are Subway’s Vegan Items Made of?
The vegan options at Subway are made from ingredients that are plant-based. These ingredients are fresh and do not contain meat, dairy, or any additional animal byproducts. Sauces, dressings, and dips might contain ingredients like oil and seasonings as well.
What Other Fast-Food Restaurants Have Vegan Options?
Having a broad assortment of foods to choose from including vegan selections is important for every restaurant.
What Can I Get at Subway That’s Vegan?
While their main staples like cold cuts, tuna, and chicken might not be classified as vegan, there are many other things to consider and enjoy.
If you have a sweet tooth you can check out the apple sauce. Dinner can be accommodated too, check out salad, wrap, or sandwich options that do not include meat or dairy ingredients.
Subway also has a wide assortment of dips, dressings, and sauces that are vegan.
If you are ever unsure of an item you can always ask an employee to verify if what you are interested in is vegan and appropriate for your dietary concerns.